Install a Prehung Door
- Door installation can be fast and easy if the rough opening is properly measured and framed. When replacing an existing door, the rough door opening should be 2-1/4" inches wider and 2" inch taller than the finished door dimensions, unless otherwise specified by the door manufacturer.
- This extra spacing allows you to adjust and plumb your new prehung door assembly in case the opening isn't square.
- Once the door is properly installed, the gap around the edges within the jambs at the top and sides will be equal.
- The door should swing into the room against the nearest wall and take up as little living space as possible.
- Closet doors are an exception: They should swing outward to maximize closet space.